Higher Education Administration
Concentration internship and elective requirements may be fulfilled by completion of an earned Ed.S. in Higher Education. If the student is coming from the Appalachian State University Ed.S. program, the student will be waived from all internship and elective credit hours. If the student is coming from another accredited institution, the Director of the Doctoral Program will assess their transcript to determine if any coursework may be accepted, dependent upon the relevance of the courses to the program, the grades received, and adherence to Graduate School regulations pertaining to transfer hours. The Director of the Doctoral Program will send out a Program of Study with specific information regarding each student that enters with an Ed.S. at the beginning of the program.
Concentration Requirements (outside of core) - number in parentheses represents credit hours:
- EDL 7900: Internship (3-6) *if a student takes 3 credit hours of internship they are required to take 18 credit hours of electives. If a student takes 6 credit hours of internship, they are required to take 15 credit hours of electives.
15-18* Credit Hours of Elective Courses - number in parentheses represents credit hours:
- H E 6090 - Seminar in Adult and Developmental Education (3)
- H E 6310 - Critical Issues in Adult and Developmental Education (3)
- H E 6320 - Institutional Effectiveness (3)
- H E 6330 - Organizing for Learning and Diversity (3)
- H E 6340 - Policy Analysis in Higher Education (3)
- H E 6350 - Leading Organizational Change in Higher Education (3)
- H E 6370 - Designing Culturally Responsive Learning Environments (3)
- H E 6840 - Personnel Policy and Practice in Higher Education (3)
Students may request different graduate level courses by contacting the Doctoral Program Director (interim: Tracy Goodson-Espy; firstname.lastname@example.org)
In order to finish the coursework portion of the program within a 2 year timeframe, electives must be taken alongside core coursework or in summer sessions. If a student chooses to wait until the end to take electives, then the time needed to complete coursework will exceed two years.