Literacy in Exceptionalities
Concentration Requirements (outside of core) - number in parentheses represents credit hours:
- EDL 7900: Internship (3-6)*if a student takes 3 credit hours of internship they are required to take 18 credit hours of electives. If a student takes 6 credit hours of internship, they are required to take 15 credit hours of electives.
15-18* Credit Hours of Elective Courses - number in parentheses represents credit hours:
Students must have at least one course with the RE prefix and one course with the SPE prefix The additional 9-12 credit hours may be from any of the following courses with either the RE or SPE prefix.
- RE 6120: Psychological Processes in Reaching (3)
- SPE 6110: Literacy Instruction for Students with Challenging Behaviors (3)
- RE 6568: Language and Linguistics in Reaching (3)
- RE 6731: Advanced Issues in Literacy and Learning (3)
- RE 6735: Severe Reading Disability (3)
- SPE 7120: Issues and Trends in Special Education (3)
- SPE 7121: Organizational Design and Implementation of Special Education Programs (3)
- RE 7570: Administering Reading/Language Arts Programs: The Research Base (3)
- RE 7710: Improving Reading/Language Arts Instruction in Schools: Problem-Solving Seminar for Administrators (3)
Students may request different graduate level courses by contacting the Doctoral Program Director.
In order to finish the coursework portion of the program within a 2 year timeframe, electives must be taken alongside core coursework or in summer sessions. If a student chooses to wait until the end to take electives, then the time needed to complete coursework will exceed two years.